What is an ABN?
You must register and create an ABN (Australian Business Number) before you can start a business in Australia.
An ABN is a unique 11-digit number issued to all entities registered as a Business in Australia. It is used when dealing with government agencies (including the Australian Taxation Office) and other businesses. You must list your ABN on tax invoices that you send to your customers for payment.
There are two status states for ABNs. Either “active” or “cancelled”. A status of cancelled means the business has stopped trading and other people may be able to register the business name for themselves. A status of “active” means the business is actively trading and performing business services or selling business products. It also tells your customers and vendors and the society at large that your business is legitimate.
What is ABNLookup.com.au ?
Every year, Australians type the words “ABN Lookup” into search engines more than one billion times.
To help people confirm the credentials of a business, we provide information about all businesses registered in Australia from our website abnlookup.com.au(.). We made our ABN Lookup website so the public can check the status and authenticity of a business.
Your ABN allows your potential customers to check whether your business is currently and valid or not. It is therefore the obligation of the business owners to keep the information about their ABN current and up to date.
Thank you for visiting our website, located at abnlookup.com.au (the ‘Website’). This Website is owned and operated by Registration Pty Ltd (ABN 66 641 933 173) (‘ABNLookup’, ‘us’, ‘we’ or ‘our’). Registration Pty Ltd is a private, third-party, business name and domain name registration and renewal service provider, and ASIC Registered Agent (45838) and is independent of ASIC. We ‘ABN Lookup’ provide business name and domain name lookup and search results based on our own, and publicly accessible business data. We also provide registration and renewal services (‘Services’) through Registration Pty Ltd. We are a privately-owned, third-party Australian business name and number lookup and search service.
In these Terms, any reference to ‘you’ or ‘your’ means you, a user of the Website.
- Nature of our Services
- By entering an ABN or Australian Business Number into our Website, you acknowledge and represent to us that you understand that:
- the Services offered through the Website by ABNLookup and Registration are retail business name and domain name public record data and registration and renewal services which are independent of ASIC;
- ABN Lookup is not a government organisation, but is a private third-party provider of business name public data and registration and renewal services through Registration Pty Ltd;
- ABN Lookup is not affiliated with ASIC; and
- ABN Lookup is owned and controlled by a private company called Registration Pty Ltd which is an ASIC Registered Agent (Agent Number is 45838).
- Business Name Registrations and Renewals
- By making any payment in connection with one of our Services, you grant us the authorisations, and make the declarations, contained in this clause 2.
- You authorise ABN Lookup and/or Registration to lodge your application for registration or renewal of a business name and make all declarations contained in clause 2.4 to ASIC on your behalf.
- You declare and represent to us that:
- you have permission and a legitimate reason to search for an Australian Business Number on our website.
- you are the applicant for registration or renewal of the business name; or
- you are lodging the application for registration or renewal of the business name on behalf of the applicant with the applicant’s permission, in which case you are authorised to:
- submit an application for registration or renewal of the business name on behalf of the applicant under the terms and conditions of the ASIC Electronic Lodgement Protocol (further details regarding eligibility to hold a business name are available here); and
- make each of the declarations in paragraph 2.4 on the applicant’s behalf after having made all due and proper enquiries.
- You declare and represent to us that you, together with each person involved in the management of the applicant for registration or renewal of the business name if the applicant is an entity (and, where you are lodging the application on behalf of the applicant, the applicant, together with each person involved in the management of the applicant if the applicant is an entity):
- are not disqualified from managing corporations under section 206B(1) of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth); and
- within the last 5 years have not been convicted of, or released from prison after being convicted of and serving a term of imprisonment for, any of the criminal offences referred to in sections 32(1)(c) or (d) of the Business Names Registration Act 2011 (Cth).
- You agree, and authorise us to agree on your behalf, to the terms of the ASIC Electronic Lodgement Protocol (available here) in connection with the application for registration or renewal of the business name.
- You acknowledge that:
- it is an offence to provide false or misleading information to ASIC; and
- ASIC may contact you, the applicant, or us if it has any questions regarding the application for registration or renewal of the business name.
- You declare that, to the best of your knowledge, the information you have supplied to us via the Website in connection with your application is complete and accurate.
- You acknowledge that if ASIC has already received a separate application for registration or renewal of your business name from a party other than us, we may not be able to process your application, which may lead to delays, may interrupt the automatic processes, and/or result in further costs being incurred. To prevent this, after you have ordered a business name registration or renewal through one of our Services, you must not lodge (whether directly or via another third party) any other application for registration or renewal of the same business name.
- You authorise us to perform all steps reasonably necessary to provide the Services, including the following:
- you appoint us as your ASIC registered agent for the purpose of managing all of your business names which are registered or renewed using one of our Services until such time as you provide us with written notice of cancellation;
- you authorise us to change the contact email of your business name renewal notification with ASIC to our own or one of our ASIC Registered Agent partner services so we can receive future business name correspondence from ASIC on your behalf in the future;
- subject to the pre-payment by you of all relevant fees, you authorise us to contact ASIC on your behalf, lodge your application for application or renewal of your business name on your behalf, access your ASIC corporate key, communicate with ASIC and attend to renewal of any business name registered or renewed through one of our Services to prevent the cancellation of your Business Name.
- If your contact details change, you must notify us of such changes through our Website.
- You acknowledge that submission of a business name registration or renewal application through this Website does not guarantee that you will successfully obtain the registration or renewal of that business name, and Registration does not make any warranties as to the successful registration or renewal of your business name.
- Ongoing Business Name Renewal Services
- You acknowledge and agree that if you have used our Services to register or renew a business name:
- subject to clause 3.2, we may transfer the ongoing management of your business name (including any renewal services) to one of our preferred partners or associated services prior to the expiry date of your business name registration;
- when your business name registration is due for renewal, either Registration or one of its preferred partners or associated services will contact you in regard to performing future business name renewal services for you.
- When we transfer the ongoing management of your business name (including any renewal services) to one of our preferred partners or associated services:
- we will only effect such transfer where the preferred partner or associated services is an ASIC Registered Agent or has provided evidence to us that it has an agreement with an ASIC Registered Agent who can lodge business name renewals;
- we will transfer to the preferred partner or associated services all available information (including your contact information, ASIC corporate key, and business name registration details) which is necessary to enable that partner or service to provide you with the business name renewal service;
- our preferred partner or associated service will contact you regarding the service before initiating the renewal by your email address or phone number provided by you to us through the Website.
- Fees and Payment
- Unless otherwise specified in these Terms, any fees and charges payable to us must be paid by you upon entering your reference number in our Website and/or by your submission of the business name registration application or renewal form.
- Payment must be made strictly by credit card or BPAY immediately upon confirmation of your order.
- We will not lodge your application for business name registration or renewal with ASIC until you pay all relevant fees and charges.
- Unless otherwise stated, all fees and charges are in Australian dollars. The fees are inclusive of goods and services tax (GST) where applicable.
- Refund Policy
- We offer a 30-day money back guarantee, as long as we have not performed your ABN Lookup service or your business name renewal service with ASIC on your behalf (mentioned in “1. Nature Of Services” above). If you wish to seek a refund before we have provided our renewal service to you, please phone us and we will explain our refund process.
- You acknowledge and agree that a refund under clause 5.1 is only available if you request it within 30 days of your payment, and we have not yet performed the renewal service, and you understand the refund amount will not include any third party fees (including ASIC registration or renewal fees) which we have incurred on your behalf.
- If you are unhappy with our refund process, please phone us and ask for our complaints email address so you can make a formal complaint in writing
- Your Privacy and Security of your Personal Information
- We collect personal and business-related data and information about you in relation to your business that is publicly available on the internet. We do this to offer you a premium business renewal service to save you the time and hassle of performing this task yourself.
- We may provide some of your basic contact information (including name, phone number and email address) to our preferred partners or associated services in connection with other business services if, when you last made a payment to us for our Services, you ticked the box that states “Yes, please let me know about other related business service offerings”.
- Other than as disclosed in these Terms, we will not disclose any of your stored or collected information to any party other than ASIC unless you instruct us to do so or we are otherwise required permitted by law.
- (i) how we store and use, and how you may access and correct your personal information;
- (ii) how you can lodge a complaint regarding the handling of your personal information; and
- (iii) how we will handle any complaint.
- If you would like any further information about our privacy policies or practices, please contact us during business hours or email us at email@example.com.
- Whilst we endeavour to ensure that your information is accurate and error-free, you acknowledge that we will not be held responsible for any inaccuracy, omission, defect or error in your information. We will not be liable for any loss or damage, however arising, which may be caused by use of this information.
- Accuracy, completeness and timeliness of information
- We make no warranty in regard to the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Website.
- We are not liable to you or to any third party in the event of interference with, or damage to, your computer systems or networks in connection with the use of this Website or a linked website.
- ABN Lookup reserves the right to review and change any of the Terms from time to time and without notice at its sole discretion, in which event we will use reasonable endeavours to provide you with notice of the updated Terms. Any changes to the Terms take immediate effect from the date of their publication.
- Linked sites
- Our Website may contain links to third-party websites. Those links are provided for convenience and may not remain current or be maintained. Unless expressly stated, Registration does not endorse and is not responsible for the content on those third-party linked websites and has no control over or rights in those linked websites.
- Intellectual property rights
- Unless otherwise stated, Registration owns or licenses all rights, title, and interest (including copyright, designs, patents, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights) in the Website and in all of the material (including all text, graphics, logos, audio, and software) made available on or via this website (‘Content’).
- Your use of this Website and use of and access to any Content does not grant or transfer any rights, title, or interest to you in relation to this website or the Content.
- All other use, copying, or reproduction of this Website, the Content, or any part thereof is prohibited, except to the extent permitted by law.
- Unacceptable activity
- You must not do any act or thing that we would deem to be inappropriate, is unlawful or is prohibited by any laws relating to our Website, including but not limited to:
- any act that would constitute a breach of the privacy (including uploading personal information without the consent of the individual to which the information relates) or any other of the legal rights of individuals;
- using this website to defame or libel Registration, our employees or other individuals;
- uploading files that contain viruses that may cause damage to Registrations systems or property or the systems or property of other individuals;
- engaging in any activity that interferes with or disrupts the operation of the Website or its services in any way (whether directly or indirectly) or use the Website in a manner that adversely affects its availability to others;
- transmitting to this Website any unauthorised material, including material that is, in our opinion, likely to cause annoyance, or which is defamatory, racist, obscene, threatening, pornographic or otherwise or which is detrimental to or in violation of our systems or a third party’s systems or network security.
- If Registration allows you to post any information to our Website, you acknowledge and agree that we have the right to take down this information at our sole discretion and without notice.
- Disclaimer and indemnity
- You acknowledge and agree that ABN Lookup:
- provides a private, commercial, non-government online renewal and application Service and is a computer program (albeit sometimes with manual and/or human review);
- is not ASIC, an accountant, a tax agent, a solicitor, an accounting firm, or legal firm;
- does not give, nor purport to give, legal, accounting or taxation advice.
- Despite ABN Lookup’s best efforts to explain relevant matters and instructions clearly on its support telephone lines, support emails and marketing material, you acknowledge and agree that:
- you may misconstrue such explanations and instructions or omit to read them (including offered guidance and information shown or available at the bottom of marketing material); and
- Registration will not be liable in respect of any such misconstructions or omissions.
- ABN Lookup’s sole purpose is to assist you with public Australian Business Name data and to renew or register a business name or to do the data input work to renew or apply for a business name. You agree not to use ABN Lookup if it is imperative that the proposed business name search results or data be up to date within the last 30 days.
- Although every effort has been made to take account of every combination of circumstances, Registration, being a computer program and an online renewal automation software tool, may not have been written in such a way so as to foresee and take into account every combination of unusual circumstances.
- If your business name renewal on the ASIC online system has been renewed with the assistance of Registration, Registration will have entirely (and will be deemed to have entirely) fulfilled its purpose, and as such you will have no claim whatsoever against Registration.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, including the Australian Consumer Law, we make no warranties or representations about this Website or the Content, including but not limited to warranties or representations that they will be complete, accurate or up-to-date, that access will be uninterrupted or error-free or free from viruses, or that this Website will be secure.
- We reserve the right to restrict, suspend or terminate without notice your access to this website, any Content, or any feature of this website at any time without notice and we will not be responsible for any loss, cost, damage or liability that may arise as a result.
- You indemnify us from and against any losses or claims arising out of, or as a consequence of, your negligent, wrongful, unlawful or incorrect reading of our marketing material.
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, including the Australian Consumer Law, in no event shall we be liable for any direct and indirect loss, damage or expense – irrespective of the manner in which it occurs – which may be suffered due to your use of our Website and/or the information or materials contained on it (including any information relating to medical or healthcare matters), or as a result of the inaccessibility of this website and/or the fact that certain information or materials contained on it are incorrect, incomplete or not up-to-date.
- Jurisdiction and governing law
- Your use of the Website and these Terms are governed by the law of New South Wales and you submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts exercising jurisdiction in New South Wales.
14. ABN Lookup Search Results
By submitting your search enquiry for ABN or Australian Business Name data, you agree to comply with the ABN Lookup and Registration Pty Ltd (ABN Lookup, we, our, us ), terms and conditions:
- The information provided in the report constitutes general information only and is not advice.
- ABN Lookup does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy correctness, timeliness or completeness of the material contained in the search results, to the extent we are able to at law, we exclude all statutory or implied representations, conditions, warranties and terms relating to the report. ABN Lookup does not exclude any statutory or implied representations, conditions, warranties, terms or guarantees to the extent we are prohibited by law from doing so (including under the Australian Consumer Law).
- The content of the search results, including without limitation all information, text, materials, graphics, software, tools, results derived from the use of software and tools, names, logos and trademarks are the property of ABN Lookup and protected by copyright, trade mark or other intellectual property laws.
- You may view the search results using your web browser and save an electronic copy, or print out a copy, of the report solely for your own use, information, research or study, but only if you keep all of the contents of the search results intact and in the same form as provided to you by ABN Lookup (including without limitation all copyright, trade mark and other proprietary notices and all advertisements).
- You must not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, post, transmit or distribute the search results in any way or to any party unless expressly provided for under these terms or with the express consent of ABN Lookup.
- Where the search results are delivered to you in a form that is technically able to be modified, delivery of the search results in that form does not constitute permission to modify the search results.
- You must not use the search results in any manner or for any purpose which:
a) is illegal or prohibited by any laws that apply to you;
b) violates our rights in any way; or
c) is prohibited by these terms and conditions.
8. The report is provided to you for informational purposes only and ABN Lookup accepts no responsibility for any loss suffered by you in using or not using the information contained in it or for any loss suffered as a result of your reliance on the accuracy or currency of information contained in the report, except where liability cannot be excluded by legislation.
To the extent permitted by law, ABN Lookup does not accept liability for the acts or omissions of those who provide information used in compiling the search results.
You indemnify ABN Lookup for any loss, claim or damage arising from your misuse of information contained in the search results and any breach of these terms.
You must take your own precautions to ensure that the process which you employ for accessing the search results does not expose you to the risk of viruses, malicious computer code or other forms of interference which may damage your own computer system. We do not warrant that your access to our websites or systems will be uninterrupted, that they will operate error free, or that they are free of computer viruses or other harmful data, code or other material.
You can elect to receive information about other ABN Lookup products and services including special offers to assist with your business needs. ABN Lookup respects the individual users right to privacy, so if you elect to receive this information, you understand that you will receive emails from ABN Lookup, Registration Pty Ltd or its related entities in relation to your use of the ABN Lookup services, or other information regarding critical tools to assist your business.
You agree that you will only use the search results and information we supply you for your own internal business use and to facilitate business and/or credit risk decisions only. You agree that you will not re-sell, re-package or otherwise re-use our information in any other way, including for sales and marketing purposes or for de-compiling and/or to build your own databases.